Weather at our house

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Good to Know

So, I'm pretty confused about how this whole process works and I was obviously mistaken when I thought that the kids' social worker said all of this adoption would happen in a month or so. I just saw our social worker today and she said it had to be 6 months before an adoption occurred. She said something about 3-4 months as foster, then it would be an "adoptive placement" and then the adoption can happen at 6 months. I'm SO confused!

At any rate, it looks like the kids won't be able to enroll in school as Sjolseths, which I was hoping for, but it will happen eventually. I hope that doesn't make things too weird, but maybe I'm worrying about it more than they would be.

Brent and I attended a class today about transracial parenting. It probably would have been pretty informative prior to having the kids here, but pretty much the issues that they mentioned are stuff that we've already jumped into (hair care, skin care). It was so odd having a white woman teach the class when there were African American women (social workers) in the audience. While she obviously was trying to share her learned knowledge (she has 3 black children), it seems odd to not hear that knowledge come from someone that is African American. I was really trying to imagine it reversed, listening to someone talk about white kids and how they're different and it's just so odd. I think I was looking for deeper issues to be discussed, which she touched on a bit, like culture, and history, and prejudices and it was a little light on that material.

It did get me thinking that for all of the kids, we probably need to "rehearse" how they will answer questions about each other once school starts. I am going to have to think about how we will address people's often innocent, yet sometimes hurtful, questions and comments. Continue to pray for wisdom in that area! Thanks!

No comments: