Weather at our house

Monday, February 1, 2010

Adjusting to 9 to 5 (well, sort of)

A few updates (also known as "a few ramblings"):
  • Brent got promoted to Lieutenant! This was big! Two years ago, he spent 8 months studying, having books changed, rescheduling, cancelling a trip, and being frustrated by the bureaucratic process only to find himself not happy with the results. A year and half after he finished that, his number has come up and he was promoted! Unfortunately that means that he had to move into a Monday through Friday role training drivers. He is working the system the best he can by working longer days, and then taking off Wednesdays and a half day on Fridays. I've also decided to scale back my job to four days per week and Brent and I will have Wednesdays home together. I'm excited, despite the fact that I've lost my teammate in homework and dinner duties! I'm so proud of Brent!
  • We're not going to Haiti this month. It turns out that even if we could get in touch with anyone at the organization we were supposed to visit, airlines aren't even supposed to start flying into Haiti until after we are scheduled to leave. We're going to try again for this summer. We hope this time to finally make it - we know there will be plenty to do!
  • We're probably going to move this year. We go back and forth, because we love our house and neighborhood, but it's just feeling small for 4 kids. I know that compared to a third world country like Haiti, it sounds ridiculous to complain about a 2000 square foot house, but I just think we could really use a playroom, and maybe an office/guest area. Hopefully, that would ease the clutter a bit. We've debated just converting our garage, and maybe that's still what we'll do, but we're leaning towards moving to south Austin. That would mean a school change, which I'm not at all happy about for the kids's sake, but they all seem to be fine with it. Packing up a house with 6 people - ugh! I can't even think about it yet!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

BIG CONGRATS TO BRENT! And I 100% support your move to South Austin! Can't wait to hear how it goes!